Friday, January 30, 2015

Jephthae’s story of faith

“And what shall I more say? for the time would fail me to tell of Gedeon, and of Barak, and of Samson, and of Jephthae; of David also, and Samuel, and of the prophets: Who through faith subdued kingdoms, wrought righteousness, obtained promises, stopped the mouths of lions, Quenched the violence of fire, escaped the edge of the sword, out of weakness were made strong, waxed valiant in fight, turned to flight the armies of the aliens.”

You will find Jephthae’s story in Judges chapter eleven. I believe his faith is exemplified in not just the victory he obtained but also that he did not withhold his daughter from the Lord even though she was his only child.

When Jephthae was to go to war he vowed before God that if he was victorious, he would offer to God anything from his house that
comes out to meet him first on his return.

“And Jephthah came to Mizpeh unto his house, and, behold, his daughter came out to meet him with timbrels and with dances: and she was his only child; beside her he had neither son nor daughter. And it came to pass, when he saw her, that he rent his clothes, and said, Alas, my daughter! thou hast brought me very low, and thou art one of them that trouble me: for I have opened my mouth unto the Lord, and I cannot go back. And she said unto him, My father, if thou hast opened thy mouth unto the Lord, do to me according to that which hath proceeded out of thy mouth; forasmuch as the Lord hath taken vengeance for thee of thine enemies, even of the children of Ammon.”

Why do I call this an act of faith? It takes faith to give to God that which is your best. The scriptures say Abraham’s faith was perfected with his offering.


“Was not our forefather Abraham [shown to be] justified (made acceptable to God) by [his] works when he brought to the altar as an offering his [own] son Isaac? You see that [his] faith was cooperating with his works, and [his] faith was completed and reached its supreme expression [when he implemented it] by [good] works.” James 2:21,22 (AMP)

No comments:

Post a Comment