Friday, March 20, 2015

How to Know God Better

Jeremiah 9:23-24
“Thus saith the Lord, Let not the wise man glory in his wisdom, neither let the mighty man glory in his might, let not the rich man glory in his riches: But let him that glorieth glory in this, that he understandeth and knoweth me, that I am the Lord which exercise lovingkindness, judgment, and righteousness, in the earth: for in these things I delight, saith the Lord.” KJV

The Scriptures say God’s people perish for lack of knowledge. Some people can be said to be in the class of the woman at the well whom Jesus told, “you know not what you worship.” There are a lot who don’t know the God that they claim to serve, that is why they attribute things to Him that don’t bear His signature or character. So for some days in our devotion I want to help you get to know Him a little better. In getting to know God where do we start from as He is more than our finite mind can grasp.

Proverbs 30:1-4
“The words of Agur the son of Jakeh, even the prophecy: the man spake unto Ithiel, even unto Ithiel and Ucal, Surely I am more brutish than any man, and have not the understanding of a man. I neither learned wisdom, nor have the knowledge of the holy. Who hath ascended up into heaven, or descended? who hath gathered the wind in his fists? who hath bound the waters in a garment? who hath established all the ends of the earth? what is his name, and what is his son's name, if thou canst tell?” KJV

The Scripture gives us a clue where to begin. From the above it tells me that I can know God through His name and through His Son. John 17 confirms this as well, there Jesus in His last prayer said that He has given to the disciples three things, one of them was His name:

“I have manifested thy name unto the men which thou gavest me out of the world: thine they were, and thou gavest them me; and they have kept thy word…And I have declared unto them thy name, and will declare it: that the love wherewith thou hast loved me may be in them, and I in them.” (vs 6,26)
“I have revealed you to those whom you gave me…” (vs 6, NIV)
“I spelled out your character in detail to the men and women you gave me…” (vs 6, Message)
“I have manifested Your name[I have revealed your very self, Your real self]…” (vs 6, amplified)


You can see from the above passage and the different translations, that knowing the name of God means knowing His character. God’s character reveal who He truly is, therefore, to truly know God is to know His character. When you know God by His character, then you can understand Him. What is His character?

No comments:

Post a Comment