Monday, February 2, 2015

Faith life of Habakkuk

“And what shall I more say? for the time would fail me to tell of Gedeon, and of Barak, and of Samson, and of Jephthae; of David also, and Samuel, and of the prophets: Who through faith subdued kingdoms, wrought righteousness, obtained promises, stopped the mouths of lions,  Quenched the violence of fire, escaped the edge of the sword, out of weakness were made strong, waxed valiant in fight, turned to flight the armies of the aliens.”

We are still on Habakkuk. So far we have seen in his faith journey that when you find yourself in a situation you do not understand, complaining will not get you anything from God. The thing to do is to go and wait on the Lord until He speaks to you. Habakkuk eventually did so and got this revelation, “the
just shall live by his faith.”
Now what was the effect of this word on him? 

Firstly, it elicited a prayer from him, he prayed with understanding. He was not just praying out of a burden, now he had understanding and this showed in how he prayed: Habakkuk 3:1-2

“A prayer of Habakkuk the prophet upon Shigionoth. O Lord, I have heard thy speech, and was afraid: O Lord, revive thy work in the midst of the years, in the midst of the years make known; in wrath remember mercy.”

This is a prayer that was accompanied with music, that is what the word Shigionoth means. Compare that to this: Habakkuk 1:1-3

“The burden which Habakkuk the prophet did see. O Lord, how long shall I cry, and thou wilt not hear! even cry out unto thee of violence, and thou wilt not save! Why dost thou shew me iniquity, and cause me to behold grievance? for spoiling and violence are before me: and there are that raise up strife and contention.”

Lastly, Habakkuk’s faith journey ended on a note of joy: Habakkuk 3:17-19
“Although the fig tree shall not blossom, neither shall fruit be in the vines; the labour of the olive shall fail, and the fields shall yield no meat; the flock shall be cut off from the fold, and there shall be no herd in the stalls: Yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will joy in the God of my salvation. The Lord God is my strength, and he will make my feet like hinds' feet, and he will make me to walk upon mine high places. To the chief singer on my stringed instruments.”


Ultimately, this is how you know someone who is in faith, you rejoice before you see the manifestation.

No comments:

Post a Comment